Seafaring Medicals

Dr Peter Niemczuk is approved by:

The MCA ( Marine and Coastguard Agency) to undertake UK statutory seafarer medical examinations.  The examination takes approximately 30 minutes and you will need to bring with you your previous ENG1 certificate, a Discharge Book No. or Passport or other photo ID.  If you wear contact lenses please remove them as soon as possible before the examination.  You should not have been subjected to any excessive noise( i.e. work environment using heavy machinery or music concert) for at least 24 hrs before attending for examination.

From 30 November 2018 fishermen will be required to hold a medical fitness certificate to work on a fishing vessel.  Existing fishermen who are eligible and have a medical condition which does not pose an immediate risk to safety may be issued with a medical certificate under "grandfather rights". any fisherman holding an overseas medical certificate on 30 November 2018 will be able to continue to work with that certificate, even if it is one not normally accepted by the UK for working on a UK vessel, until it expires or for two years which ever is sooner. If you have been told to apply for "grandfather rights" bringing evidence with you will save time at the medical:

  • You must be applying for the first time for an ENG1 Certificate

You must provide evidence that you have been working as a fisherman before the date of the regulations coming into force.  Examples of suitable evidence would be one or more of the following:

  • MCA fishing certificate of competency
  • Seafish 5 day Bridge Watchkeeping Certificate
  • Basic Health and Safety OR Safety Awareness and Risk Assessment
  • SEAFISH course completion card
  • Sea service Testimonials e.g. from skippers/the fishing vessel owners/managers, which demonstrate that you have worked regularly as a fisherman.  If you are the owner of the vessel, take the registration document for the vessel including fishing vessel number, and your name on the document as the owner.
  • Evidence that you are physically capable and can undertake your role on the vessel.  This could be a letter or certification or training course certificates from the operator or owner of the vessel, harbour master of MCA Surveyor.  

Fee:  £105.00 payable by cheque or cash

Covid-19 & Advice for Seafarers

MCA guidance 



Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website